Monday, June 25, 2018

Twenty-Seven Years Strong. (as a Virgin.)


To be honest, I don’t know why I am still a virgin. In every respect that I can fathom and gather at the moment, I have lived an attractive life. I thought little on the morrow and I seldom past an opportunity to feed the beggar. I did everything within my power to be of service to the World. I did not gamble. I first drank alcohol when I was out of high school. I first got drunk when I was twenty-two years old. I did not start social drinking until I was twenty-four. By then I’d made one hundred dollars playing music, and the bar was close. In all matters I adhered to the principle of harmlessness. I never killed a man, nor have I slaughtered any animals. I even abstained from eating meat for several months, if memory serves, and for some short time I was a vegan. I only stopped on what I took to be the good authority of an experienced Buddhist, and perhaps to spare my parents the strain. This evades my memory in passing, but only because I seldom tally my successes when I’m not involved in them. With all my power I upheld the Common Good, partaking in competition only when it was a guise for public advocacy or for the consensual construction of community, and never the other way around. Even when met with deviant behavior I did my part to withhold judgement, though I was met with judgement even at my moments of optimism and availability. I never espoused sin by any definition that has been provided by man’s religions, though I did my part to nurture the suffering of sinners. Though I failed many classes, it was not for a lack of trying; in fact, I failed them only in direct proportion to my intellectual ambition. I only lost interest in a class when I disagreed with the professor, and only when that professor contradicted or failed to live up to a previous teacher. My interests span the Humanities and the Sciences, including Music, Literature, Computer Science, Robotics, Game Design, the Theatre, Film, and Communications. My involvement in these disciplines was never merely cursory or anecdotal; I all ways weighed one set of learnings against an other. I am no aggressive man, except when pushed to an extreme that I’ve never seen my fellows go to. My path has been a lonesome one fraught with despair, disappointed hopes, and loss. Yet I never refused a helping hand, often the first to shed his defenses as to give my fellows an opportunity to help me and thereby to cultivate their own virtue. This virtue I myself excelled at, and I’ve done my part to remedy the agitation caused by those well-meaning plans that had, by necessity, to involve not only my own established skills but that presented a learning curve for my peers. I am a Communist, through and through, and even as an introspective man I’ve not allowed my personal appetites to bypass the interests of the Community; if I ever allowed them expression, it was not only AFTER but in the very MIDST of constant analysis and reassessment, in total transparency and vulnerability. I have never seen a thousand dollars in my life. Though prone to spend freely, it has only ever been in direct proportion to my investments in my friends. Hundreds of dollars went towards feeding my homeless vagrant friends, as well as those afflicted by loss. If I ever demanded money it was totally within the scope of my actual needs, which were all ways an extension of my friends’ needs. This life has not been at the expense of my passions, for I only ever sought the close company of those who shared my values, at least in word, though it was not to the exclusion of those whose interests were alien to mine, from whom I could learn. In my dealings with women, I’ve shown loyalty spanning years, even, most recently, till Death did us part, though our parting was a troubled one. Still: I remain a virgin, and thus faithful. Yet my Light of Love is dead. And I do not know that her ghost would wish for me to bind myself to her memory at the expense of my own path of self-discovery. Somehow I did not imagine that I’d find myself alone at twenty-seven. Patience was all ways a virtue that I cultivated. But my last crush from high school, two years my junior, is now married. My most recent love was raped by my best friend and lost her life after a struggle with depression that I joined her in over the course of two years, neglecting occupation and health by every definition I can think of, save for sanctity. I imagined I was not alone. Statistics all ways lie, I’m told. But I cannot shake the faith that people place in them. Statistically, I belong not just to the 1.5% of people with my introverted and affective personality type. I all so belong to the three per cent of Americans who are still virginal in adult life. Apparently, not only does adult life start at the age of eighteen; for many people, sex starts then, too, as more than just a fantasy and constant problem. For the conceptual average, it begins even before the Adult Life!!
In work I was never lazy, though I remained conscientious and careful where others were careless, compulsive, competitive or crazy. In school I was never excellent, though I never confined myself to the arrogance of specialization nor to the fraud of cheating. Whenever I tried to break bad, I found myself new to a popular field, and those who feared me then had feared me to begin with, or at least pretended to, not for my sins but for my austerities. I am no fool. I see the semblance between religion and ideology, science and theology, as well as love and condescension. And I could only have learned them through practice, with devotion and with painstaking, neurotic obsession.
I can’t even say for a fact that I am unpleasant to the eye, by birth. My choice of style has all ways been my own in adult years, and it’s been through some incarnations that endeared me to the Public. All things considered, my body remains fit and fruitful. My weight is only on the verge of underweight, owing to my metabolism. By civilized standards, I should be set apart as an ideal mate. I work hard for little reward; my abilities are great and my needs few, save for where I require the same professionalism of others as is required of all beings. My tastes are particular and peculiar, but not without substance or variety. I can hold my end of all most any conversation, granted that it’s not marred by private interests. I’ve even set a local record for volunteer hours as a high school debate judge, if only over the course of one year prior to my return to the competition. I was seldom if ever miserly with my learning. And though I could turn a date into a lecture, I have all ways preferred to learn about the Other and where she and I fit into the Cosmos.
I am not a bad person. Yet I am alone. I did not become this way because I thought it would pay off. I only prayed to God (even when I had little faith in Him, I now confess) that I would not be made to suffer for who I was, for I knew then that those I loved would suffer too under the burden of my pain. I put them first, except when a greater sense of human family might motivate me to break rank with a binding social group. The internal rewards have been great. The price of the occasional nervous breakdown and long depressive season has been the status of a genius, though even those who called me that have told me that I was no saint in fits of self-entitled rage and envy.
Can it be so that I missed out on something readily available? I know that geniuses and saints have died virginal, as have martyrs and serial murderers. Still: I want more than that fate for myself. I want to KNOW what the inside of a woman’s flesh might feel like after birth. And though I do not doubt that this expression alienates my audience as much as it embarrasses me, is either the alienation or the embarrassment, even collectively, of such a threshold that it would transcend the pain and isolation – even the HUMILIATION, before the condescension of statistical data – that is the involuntary celibate life? I was all ways available to be of help to those whose needs were great, and I’ve seldom refused a helping hand except when I’d discovered foul intent beneath it. So what am I doing wrong? And if it’s nothing, can this be the price of excellence? Is it in fact a reward? Is sex so devious a sin that I should be proud of my virginity? Why does the mind-body rebel against this? And what would this rebellion, once stifled, say of my fellow sufferers, but those who suffer not from too much virtue but from too much vice? Why did God, whom I had promised Her to place my faith in before my own achievements and intellect, put me in this situation? What am I to teach? Whom am I now to save? And what will become of my Life if there is nothing and no one? The closer I come to my personal goals, the more I am disgusted by my own reflection in those who have prospered. And they don’t want to play music with me, anyway. I guess that playing a dozen instruments counts for little when you are a virgin.
Why, though?

Dm.A.A.

No comments:

Post a Comment