Thursday, March 7, 2013

A Culture without Nads.

1. The popular assumption in this 'culture' seems to be the one that Freud held most near and dear: That sexual repression was the root of all evil and that merely 'turning a person on' in that particular area could solve all the problems of the world.
     Unfortunately, this is not the case. Regardless, people who live by this theory, upon learning that they cannot save the world by increasing the human population, abandon saving the world altogether, believing it to be, as Freud seemed to, 'terminally fucked'.
    But this is absurd.
    Obviously, if you spend all of your energy on sex and are under the impression that all 'civilised' impulses -- intellect, beauty, love -- are just merely 'sublimated' (direct quote from Dr Freud) impulses from the rectal area, it is no wonder that we fall short of the glory of those Cultures and individuals who marry all the impulses.
    We're practically designed against it.
    But very few educated people who also happen to be intelligent believe the World of Nature to follow a 'design'.

dm.A.A.

2. I think that a large part of the problem is that we do not value knowledge that isn't physically experienced, unless it is from a particular authority.
    It's no wonder that people do things like heroin and meth, drugs which kill, respectively, their users and, to quote a friend of mine who once encountered a meth-head and barely escaped alive, 'something inside you'.

   We also, as I alluded previously, practically condemn as heretical such 'pretenious' claims that were once made about the Spirit, Love, and the Soul.
    And yet we spend most of our conversations bragging about the Past, as though that Ghost could sway the present if we didn't let it.

    Fantastic.


    I enjoy the disciplined, solitary life. Not that I am lonely: Just few people want to / can share their solitude with me. Which is a definition of Sanity if any definition can be drawn.

    Sanity, to me, is a -- if not the -- religious issue. It is, Naturally, flowing, fluid, and vague -- rarely glimpsed by mortals who value scientific 'knowledge' over the Humanity necessary to keep it in check.

    No wonder we are so cynical. 'Facing the facts' -- the Figures -- must leave us with room to turn our heads and imagine their application.

  It is not a mark of good Art to merely present something as a 'fact' -- an incontrovertible constant. We reserve that for propagandists.

   A truly 'sexually liberated' culture would be free from the devils of sexual perversion. But the fact that those devils still Haunt us can be seen in the fact that we project it onto the 'other', the 'creep', or, in other words, our own brother and sister, just as much a beggar as we. One needs not be a religious person to see that others are a mirror for ourselves, regardless of whether we like what we see or not.

    I have seen both angels and demons in those mirrors. And I was accused of heresy, labeled a conspiracy theorist, a stoner, and a virgin.

   But the kicker:

  I had never heard of the Illuminati. I have, to this day, never seen LSD, and my virginity is a choice. I know that drunkenness is the beginning of a hangover, and alcohol and lust both fail to ensnare my tastes.

   Yes, I am desperate. No more than the average individual in this day and age. My desperation would persist despite any insufficiency. It is my Spirit: my Zeal for Life.
    And even in times of lack, as well as excess, for those are known to all wise people to come and go, we must be vigilant and ready to meet Reality on its own terms. Even if it threatens to drive us mad, for sanity is subjective.
   My sanity, like my religion -- my sanctity -- is personal. You will know it by its fruits, and it will comfort you if you do not threaten it, but you cannot copy it. A picture of food is not a very satisfying meal. And one lives not by bread alone.

   I have called myself a 'non-believing Christian.' I have deeply enjoyed the warmth and camaraderie of certain Christian circles, singing along with them at their bonfires as the Sun set on the ocean horizon.
   But just a few treated me as seasoned, pretentious 'fans' treat a 'newbie' at a rock show. True: I never followed the history. But I dig the music.

dm.A.A.

No comments:

Post a Comment