Friday, August 8, 2014

Response to a feminist argument.

Well we’ve all been disrespected at one time or another, so I think that my two cents could at least count for something. I had a friend who was suicidal and got cat calls all the time, and of course it’s sad (to say the least) to hear about, but I’m not going to let it affect how I treat people because that would be neither ethical or logical. It’s like when people posted videos for crush fetishists on MySpace and the “norm” was to describe all the terrible things one would want done to the culprit, even though to preach such kind of violence as a punishment was in fact a hypocritical power attitude. And one of my friends wouldn’t talk to me for a few days because I was “defending” the woman in the video and preaching peace.
Different people respond differently to different behavior, and not all social deviance is poorly received. Some people even prefer to be treated with social deviance, such as in the case of a fellow I knew who was a social deviant as well and preferred to be filmed without being asked first. People are not crazy or “bad”. One just has to get to understand them.
I certainly never understood the whole “picking up girls” thing but I’ve heard about both sides of the perspective, and all though I found it silly myself I would not feel entitled to pass judgement upon the souls of the people involved so much as the actions. There have even been books written on pick-up artistry, one of whom I encountered in the home of a married couple whom I respect, and the argument in favour of this deviant behavior is that a minority of women will be receptive to it. But that minority is its self therefore a kind of social deviance and it would be bullying to say that such a woman is a whore or something.
I am sorry about your feelings and all I can suggest is that you do what you can to deal with it. That’s not a put-down; “dealing with” things by my definition is one of the most noble enterprises in life and can be done in a number of ways. I wouldn’t be presumptuous but I all ways tend to suspect that all though every individual goes through radically unique experiences they are all so more or less universal. As Watts said: “What you do and what happens to you are the same,” and all though this sounds like victim-blaming in a sociological context, speaking in the context that it was used in it means that rather than feeling disempowered or offended people should try to see the matter with as much objectivity as humanly possible. The shame of having wronged someone is arguably worse than the pain of being humiliated, and a basic trust in people will tell you that no one can escape his or her own conscience. That’s me preaching Buddhism, et cetera, but hopefully it creates a clearer context for what I said. Just don’t think I have not thought about this and how it affects people, both men and women, and the culture that it creates, in both its raw form and the reactionary movement that emerged out of it. Notice that I never once said that feminism was bad, but I wouldn’t embrace any ideology as universally good because that is fanaticism by definition, and it is contrary to intellectualism and freedom. That kind of thinking leads to fascism and suffering for all, and I think a more enlightened society would tend not to create so much division betwixt people. Frankly moralizing does that too, so I’m sorry for having done so in my self-defense.
Respectfully,

Dmitry.

No comments:

Post a Comment