Thursday, August 14, 2014

The Convent Dream. (The House of the Dying.)

1.       Last night’s dream may not require a record of it, it may endure in memory throughout my life-time.
In place of the Hager’s residence on my street there is now a house I might have visited several times before. All though this seems unlikely given the content of other recent dreams, by the time that I arrived at this home it had all ready become familiar to me as the residence of Kresten’s extended family.
Perhaps in fact I first encountered this setting last night but can only, as it has been observed, recall the last few episodes.
Much like the land surveyor in Kafka’s The Castle, I was assigned to this destination – I think by Kresten – perhaps to pet-sit. Yet just like in the Kafka tale I had trouble gaining admittance and then acceptance. I think I was accompanied by a friend – if not Andrew then probably a reference to him, for the Dreamer of Dreams has all ready cast Andrew as a personification of the Shadow – when I first[/last?] tried gaining admittance to the House. The woman who answered, presumably Kresten’s graunt – but on second thought all most certainly his dead, demented grand-mother – asked first and in a clipped and near-silent Soviet voice if I believed in God. It might have been in this interrogative form: What is your religion? Awkwardly but without hesitation or stutter I replied that I did not have a religion because my parents never followed one in particular. She said no more to me, but passed out from sight, advancing I think towards the front of the house. I was left uncertain as to whether or not I was well come. A part of me wants to believe that I turned to Andrew at that instant and that he shrugged in mutual confusion.

The House must surely have been the House of the Dead. At any rate, it was the House of the Dying. Yet what Watts had said about how we treat our dying – with denial – seemed endemic. In truth, a number of its occupants there were of middle-age, and I wondered what they were doing there. A man occupied a cot upon my right upon entry to the bleak blue room. I recall an arbitrary riddle that I was asked to solve, or other-wise it was one that I had believed my self to have solved adequately and wanted to brag about.* I was met with feeble glares of incredulity like the one that the old man at the Zen monastery had fixed me in before the other old fuck there said of my intellectualism and philosophical curiosity that he did not know why I could not ‘relate to [with] people’** and that I needed medication (in the patronizing interrogative form: ‘Are you taking [on] any medication?’***

*This is all most certainly a reference to my attempts to talk people through Depression.
** Salinger incarnate. I am Seymour Glass.
*** This episode at the Zen Monastery was Actual.

2.       At one point later in the dream I had left the house, which never seemed to change internally. I left my home in a bath-robe. I passed by the Wookey’s open garage, where Scott’s perpetually hot sister Michelle, who might have been dressed in a salmon-magenta robe, was packing things into a car. In fact it might have been that the garage, like the Hagers’ garage had been in Actuality and as it was now. In Dream, was still cluttered as though Scott had never ‘grown up’. I asked her when he would return. She hesitated to answer and I thought first that may be she had not heard me and then secondly that she was ignoring me, though it’s possible that these two thoughts had occurred in the obverse order. It was like seeing the woman at the Che café and being disappointed to find that she was not in fact the INFP-looking buxom blonde who had worked at Barnes & Noble. [Another Actual Instant.] She finally replied, probably without looking at me. I cannot immediately recall, but it seems that Scott would be gone indefinitely, for her response left me with little to nothing to look forward to.
As I continued down in the street, I was met with an angry glare from a female stranger in her twenties-to-thirties-or-early-forties, wearing a night-robe that might have been like my mother’s. I was unnerved. I thought: She is wearing a robe. Why would mine, (which felt like it had belonged to my father, in retrospect, and might in fact have been either borrowed or inherited) offend her? I looked down and realized that I was not only wearing that robe, but dress pants and my favourite cobalt-blue business shirt over it, too.

3.       Finally, I decided to perform upon [I think one of] a series of truly grand (though not formally Grand) pianos at Kresten’s Christian convent. I was told, luke-warmly, that while my music was basically good I could use some lessons. I began to explain, again with the same Zen-off-the-bat immediacy, that those cost a lot of money and that all of my favourite artists were self-taught. It was like the time in Actuality that I had told Mitchell that all of my favourite authors were dead, except that that time the reply was delightfully a positive relief:
‘Then you are like me,’ he had said with the same Dr. Pepper immediacy.


dm.A.A.

No comments:

Post a Comment