Wednesday, April 3, 2013

My response to Brian Dunning's criticism of the MBTI:

http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4221

A friend of mine in high school, long before I had heard of Jung, once said that she could never imagine me as an extravert. I kept my inner world quiet with almost a paranoid fear of others, shielding the intensity of my incredible emotions, towards which I attributed the closest thing to Godliness that an atheist can conceive. Part of my disconnect from people came from their lack of interest in "profound" matters. I found it fascinating and unbelievable that, despite the invisible Essence pervading the world, a unitive entity that I perceived that pervaded all things, like an Oversoul, revealing itself in glorious moments of spontaneous clarity, went entirely unmentioned by people, and some would even insist on using logic where this Presence would, by virtue of logic, hide itself.

I just talked to one of my friends from high school, and elementary school, in fact. It was the first time in my life that I fully fathomed that he, and perhaps most people, would not discern any meaning in the above paragraph. Considering the depictions of Bradbury, of Poe, of Salinger, of Rowling, of Shakespeare of this phenomenon, -- Of Meaning as an incontrovertible phenomenon Presenting itself serendipitously -- it was boggling to discover that my friend had only experienced this whilst using psychedelics.

Could it be that, in fact, these writers are on a different planet? The MBTI helped me to see that and understand why friends had called me Hamlet and Holden Caulfield.

- INFP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scwcnXRtVt4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzeAD70_oRo

No comments:

Post a Comment