Sunday, September 8, 2013

The Burning House.


Kresten's great-grandmother died today. She had had dementia. He said that it came as a relief when she died because he had suffered long enough watching the part of her that he knew die each day. She's had dementia for several years. She used to be the model Catholic: A kind soul. Kresten wrote a song comparing her to Mr Rogers, saying "Mr Rogers died of cancer." In her later years, her personality would change to its stark opposite: Hostile and sarcastic. It was because she could not remember anything from the majority of her life. She had even begun to use a different name.

 

When I got up to leave to go to his house today, I had our band in mind. I had had it in mind all day. I had decided to confront him about the band. I picked up the phone. There was a message from him, informing me as to what had happened and how it had brought about a change of heart in him. He wanted to jam.

 

Before leaving the house, I checked that everything was turned off: The stove and the microwave. I would be leaving Pumpkin, my Pekingese and a family friend of many years, alone. I locked all of the doors. I took the key and locked the front door behind me. I then returned and checked the stove a third time. I wiggled all three of the knobs. I observed the one that was missing, where a bar sticking out filled its place. The two lights that would have signified either heat or gas were out. I held them in memory as I trudged with my best effort at heroic decorum to Kresten’s condominium. I had a keyboard under my arm.

 

The house was locked. The stove was off, as was the microwave. The gate was locked, and yet still I was terribly afraid that the house would burn down.

 

 

Earlier that morning, Maria had shared the first dream that she had intimated to me in a long time. It may very well have been the first I can remember that she described in detail. Actually, it was a series of dreams with one leitmotif: Houses burning down. One dream involved her setting fire to a forest so as to destroy a cabin. Another, prior to that, featured our own home juxtaposed with Hawaii, serving as though it were a hotel room. She could see Hawaii from her window, but emerging into the backyard found her back home. She saw a mushroom cloud that was gray go up in the air and rushed back to find the neighbourhood on fire. A girl from a weblog on the internet was going door-to-door, apparently, telling people about the fire. In Actual Life, the girl had told them about a fire in her own neighbourhood. I’ll spare the remaining details to preserve Maria’s privacy.

 

Kresten and I jammed for some time before he asked me to leave. His mood was incorrigible, and he was intent on being as Alone as possible, although he maintained a Stoic demeanour. I had seen Kresten cry two times prior within my life, and the fortitude with which he maintained a blank frown was disappointing. I was intent upon staying, however. Finally, Kresten tapered into a kind of passive acceptance of my presence in his mother’s apartment, though he made it clear that playing guitar was out of the question for him at this point. He withdrew into the kitchen as I tried to recover, by memory, a guitar riff that he had written several weeks prior. It had been his failure to remember this riff, amidst other things, that prompted him to stop playing for the time being.

 

When I found him in the kitchen a few minutes later, he was a happier man. He had just texted Bianca, his girlfriend, so his spirits began to retain a bit more of his characteristic edge. I asked if I should “amscre”, (“scram” in pig-Latin), and he gave me an inconclusive response.

 

We began to watch an episode of “Breaking Bad”. We began it at a point well into the episode. Soon afterwards, Bianca arrived. I asked again if I should leave, exhausting little effort on my part to appear polite but unapologetic, as had become habit for me. Kresten told me, absently, that “it would probably be fine”, though the “fine” had a marked absence of connotation.

 

When Bianca arrived, she was not thrilled to see me after not having seen me in over a year. She remained silent and self-conscious throughout an episode of “Breaking Bad”, which we watched from the beginning. She sat in a loveseat directly across from the wooden chair that I occupied leisurely, a small but rectangular table between us, and Kresten behind with the couch all to himself. No one spoke with the exception of the television and an occasional attempt at congenial humour on my part.

 

I could not tell what was happening in the room, except that I could feel a tension in my muscles at moments. Whether the tension was in response to the events portrayed on television or my friends’ emotional responses, I never learned. It just seemed to escalate, as well as a certain “broken” feeling in my left lobe which I now have the wisdom to identify with Kresten’s “bad days”, exclusively.

 

At one point, Kresten got up, and the tension I felt was markedly one of a fury that had not originated within my own being. He paced the apartment diligently for one continuous but shortlived moment that ended with him withdrawing to the ground-floor patio behind me with a cigarette and a drink. He shut the glass door behind him. By this point, we had already gone from watching “Breaking Bad” to the Korean film “Old Boy”. Somehow, I had intuited that we would be watching this favourite of Kresten’s again. It was over an hour into Bianca’s visit.

 

About fifteen minutes into “Old Boy”, marked by a scene wherein the protagonist is masturbating whilst watching a television set within an apartment wherein he is imprisoned, Bianca said, “Goodnight, Dmitry.” With as marked lack of eros and emotion, she left the room like a gas flame on the stovetop going out with the turn of a knob.

 

Disoriented as I was, I took that as my cue to inquire as to what (the hell, though I did not say it) was going on. I opened the window behind me and found Kresten in an admittedly refreshing temper, leaning over the edge of the close metal rail with his elbows upon it and his head resting against his wrists. The trees, in homely proximity to us, their grassy expanse beginning just where the slight strip of cement that Kresten and I occupied ended, diving into a hill that would sprawl into a desolate golf course, took on the ecstatic vibrance of Kresten’s mind. He told me, very plainly, that it wasn’t my fault, but that he wished that either Bianca or I would get over ourselves when he was going through emotional turmoil. “I guess I just have shitty friends,” he stated nonchalantly but frankly, not looking at me. I asserted, but with absolute gentleness, that I would have left had she told me. I also told him that part of the reason why I wanted to stay was to support him. I wasn’t sure, though, if that was what he needed. He admitted that he probably did.

 

 

Bianca returned, as had been planned, within a few minutes. I watched “Old Boy” alone as I listened, not entirely observative of either, but attentive, to Kresten reproaching Bianca firmly but fairly via cell phone in the patio behind me. When she returned, she was more polite to me. She said that she had bought “Raisinettes, Ferrero Rochers,” and something else at the drug store nearby. She offered me some.

 

In the interim between the phone call and her arrival, however, there were a good few minutes wherein Kresten rested on the couch. The television was off. He was intent on rewinding the film to begin from the top. He asked me if it was fine. I said that I did not mind at all.

 

 

The television must have been off when I saw Kresten cry for the third time in his life. He recounted everything I mentioned in the first paragraph of this chapter from his couch.

 

I meditated for some time in my seat, looking down at my hands. I decided to finally say, “It makes you wish that people appreciated it more, doesn’t it?”

 

Kresten was already on his laptop. “What, music?”

 

“No, Life.”

 

It was at that moment that I had the Kresten I always knew and loved back for a few minutes. He was in tears, but with every sob an iceberg seemed to rupture. He said that no one appreciated Life, as though the fact were an obvious claim. He said that he could not understand people’s fixation upon money. I assured him that some people probably do appreciate Life. Maybe a good deal of them do, but our culture does not allow it. I don’t know if it was what I said or his own thoughts that allowed his mood to settle again. It had probably been a combination of the two.

 

 

Before returning home that night, I walked along every one of the three floors of his condo complex, pacing the narrow corridors illumined by glowing lamps that remind me now of Bianca’s original attitude towards me that evening. I took several pictures of these lamps on my phone, sending one to Kresten by text message. The message read, “Despite the ephemeral nature of Life, a sense of accomplishment is important.”

 
When I returned home, the stove was still off. The microwave did not catch my attention by any device. Everyone was safe and secure. Yet I still felt that my house was burning down.

No comments:

Post a Comment