Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Damn you, Camus. Stop looking over my shoulder.


Dear Mother,

 

                I still think that having the shoes in plain sight is aesthetically preferable because I like to look at them. It reminds me of Van Gogh’s shoes and Heidegger’s shoes. Please be more respectful of other people’s tastes. They are a part of a person’s individuality, and it is humiliating to be told they’re ‘wrong’. Father convinced me that the shoes were a health hazard, and I accepted the rationale although I am still skeptical. Personally, if left to me own devices, I would move all the shoes in order to clean and then put them back. There are many things that you would find I could do well if entrusted with the responsibility. Just know, though, that it’s never going to be perfect and that there are too many things to worry about at any moment to allow oneself to be bound to fairly arbitrary dogmas.

                I grew up watching you and Dad arguing about absurdly menial stuff, and I have had to work hard to overcome my own perfectionism and see the bigger picture. Hopefully you can do the same and revise your opinion of what ‘Normalcy’ is, because it IS a fallacy (you can look up ‘Normalcy bias’) and many of my friends, as well as my ex-girlfriend, have criticized you, and being around them has shown me how relative things are, how diverse people’s customs are in America, how Universal to them is the notion of Respect, how vague the word ‘normal’ is even to them, how nice things can be when people compromise, and how there is a range of responses to conflicts of interest.

                Really, everyone simply wants to be ‘me’ in his or her own way, and their preferences are a part of that. One person’s ‘mess’ is another’s order, because these are not ‘things out there’ but internal attitudes and reactions.

                When you say ‘normal’ and negate my experience, it is naturally depressing.

                You could be more Open like other people and try to see the Beauty of another’s totally unique world-view, aesthetic and otherwise.

                Conflicts are inevitable; the price of eliminating such tensions is a loss of that Beauty. Try to handle them with a cool head, (like most of the people I have met) and see if maybe any part of it is your fault. You’ll notice that, except where the safety of someone other than myself is concerned, I never tell you what to do. I do think you should try living it up more, since you seem fascinated by glamorous lifestyles and Art, but I do not probe you routinely about that. I’m glad that you clean up for me if you enjoy it, but I cannot condone it if you do not.

                Being happy is what is most important. For all I know, the shoes might gather fungi in the dark of the closet, and that would be more of a hygienic risk than the dirt we could easily clean up anyway and that we never step in anyway (as opposed to our shoes, which obviously make immediate contact with our feet). If we do not Treat the shoes as a liability, handling them ceases to be a problem and becomes fun. They cease to be ‘base’; this is the same reason I love seeing them, like an old favourite toy. And yet notice again that I am not telling you to do these things. I wouldn’t ever ‘make’ someone do something I did not myself enjoy. If I don’t feel some sense of purpose to doing something, I know it to be utterly unimportant, and if I feel compulsive about it I try to ignore it. This is why also I never let someone tell me to do something that is meaningless to me; if it is meaningful TO THEM, they can do it, and if not, they shouldn’t. Notice that, left to my own devices, I walk the dog daily feed him, and check regularly that he is safe. You never see me complain except where his safety and health are at stake. I do not regard these things as ‘chores’ because I find them meaningful rather than menial. You probably notice that I enjoy it, as Father enjoys providing for us.

                Yet if you think that ‘real work’ must be dreadful, I totally disagree with you. Quite on the contrary, I think that enjoying the ardour of it is a sign of health. Monks are good at doing this, so I note the different and lack of compulsiveness. Like I said: Left to my own devices, if you were to go on a trip for a week or something, you would see a semblance of workable order upon return.

                But I am not going to become restless just because you may be, because internal balance must come first; things seem much worse than they are when we are restless. I learned in one of the first few classes I took at Palomar how to stop making evaluative judgements and how to look at things objectively. It was sobering and I wish I’d stuck with it earlier. If you need to express yourself aesthetically, I still suggest you consider taking up painting or skating. It can be Fun, and you don’t need to wait for me to become financially independent to enjoy yourself. Kresten’s mom still enjoys herself, and I’ve seen it help her relationship with her son. It’s not perfect, but it’s sweet and preferable to some totally fake perfection. If you took some time off, you’d see that things fall into place. This may sound naive, but it’s an experience I have had numerous times by letting things be and resisting the overwhelming urge to interfere.

 

Sincerely, your son,

Dmitry.

 

Post-scriptum: One time, at a McDonald’s, I was accidentally given two plastic trays instead of one. This was a joy to me I could not begin to describe; it would take me years to relate it. I sat there, reading a book of collected verse and prose by Rilke, and then a woman who worked there (poor thing), middle-aged and middle-eastern, rapidly yanked the bottom tray away from me. She practically wrestled it from my hand within a single second; I had all ready told her I wasn’t finished using it. (I wanted it near me.) It crushed me. You understand, surely. My only consolation was in recognizing the functionalism prevalent in our society. It is not unlike what Marcel called the Problematic. In fact, it is probably precisely that. On the subject of eating, I can understand, in the context of this sort of functionalistic aesthetic, that many Americans would insist on removing their trays and forks as soon as possible as though to hide evidence of any sort of dinner having transpired. For me, it would be a vice, because these plates are my companions and it is one of the great joys of the world (you understand) to see them still there, waiting for me as a reminder of the prior meal. This joy also extends to dish-washing, but it always has to be at a proper time when nothing else is on my mind. Otherwise I feel unbearably ashamed. I do agree with Rilke that Things have indispensable things to teach us, and we are to apt to treat them like technology. (Which, as Heidegger pointed out, means that we are not really treating them as Things.) To me, when I see a cluster of “used” dishes, (though I loathe that term in context) I see a miniature city, and a “sullied” dish with two pieces of silverware atop it is reminiscent maddeningly of a clock. You understand. I even felt similar to that yesterday after Kresten and I ate; there was a bit of jam that had formed a delicate crust on the semi-transparent plate with its coarse visible interior and its smooth exterior. It was made the topic of a very congenial joke. Watts was probably right about Western anti-materialism, but I think that society might be improving from the time he was writing in. At any rate, you get it; you read Salinger novels and Rilkean poetry, and you like Art so I know you do. I myself have written many poems about clutter and dishes which I might show you when they are ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment