Saturday, January 4, 2014

On the Fallacy of the Conventional Definition of Sanity.


On the Fallacy of the Conventional Definition of Sanity.

 

The Conventional Definition of Sanity is that it is repetitive, identical action with the anticipation of a new result.

 

There is a fallacy therein. My heart beats repetitively, and yet I describe my experience each day as being novel. So long as there are forces outside of my control, and so long as my Will is of any merit, then it may be permissible for me to repeat the same act over and over again and to anticipate a different result because the aspect of my experience which is OUTSIDE OF MY CONTROL will always change. If Will matters, then one can conceive of a situation wherein the synchronization of Will and The Uncontrolled can produce a beneficial result. From the perspective of the Ego, I would be repeating the same act over and over. Imagine that I am playing whack-a-mole, except with only one hole. The mole is too fast when he rises from his hole for me to hit him upon sight. The only way to resolve this would be for me to whack the hole repeatedly until the mole surfaced. If he is bound to surface, then I should know that I am entirely sane in doing so. If I am uncertain of whether or not he WILL surface, then I should still be justified in making an attempt, simply because of the possibility that he might. The question is a matter of the degree to which one enjoys the game or otherwise finds Meaning in it.

dm.A.A.

No comments:

Post a Comment