Wednesday, January 15, 2014

On Nietzsche’s Description of the Nihilistic Void that exists beyond all Possibility of Meaning.


On Nietzsche’s Description of the Nihilistic Void that exists beyond all Possibility of Meaning.

 

I recall a lecture given on Nietzsche wherein the professor described Nietzsche’s journey past all Created Meaning and his confrontation with the Void that lies beyond existentialism: Nihilism. The professor remarked, with a subtle grin, that Nietzsche seemed to have conceded to the nihilists that ultimately the world is without meaning.

 

I was reminded of one of the most dearly held tokens of meaning in my life: the video game Spyro the Dragon. The majority of the dreams that I can recall from childhood took place in this mythic universe, its worlds created by my Unconscious, surpassing the finitude of the original game.

 

I imagined this game, too, becoming Meaningless to me. How could I forsake the almost Human texture of the infinite blue skies, presumed infinite because I could never fly past them, in the floating castles of Wizard’s Peak? And what entered my mind was a vivid image, the nostalgia clinging to my mind as though it clung for dear life over the abyss of its annihiliation. I remembered Spyro, having run to the peak of a slope and jumped through a circular window-pane in a mountain cave, soaring out of the mountain with the flame of friction blistering behind him, prepared to glide to the tiny isle floating against the backdrop of the sky, its conical base pointed at a deep blue void.

 

I realized that, were Nietzsche right, I would be at peace, for the zeal of that leap would always rest in the fear, though not so much the fear as the refusal, to merely plummet into the Void below or to miss the isle in flight.

 

I returned to the computer to write an entry on the very revelation that had felt so much like such a tragic arc.

 

It was at that point that I landed upon the isle, feeling as though I would never disappear into the Void without another chance, and the Void itself seemed to disappear.

 

Dm.A.A.

No comments:

Post a Comment