Tuesday, March 29, 2016

The Company of Strangers:

The Company of Strangers:

It was a restaurant I didn’t know.
With people that I had not met.
I did not plan that day to go
Though come what may I won’t forget.

And they had played upon the stereo
Some music that I can’t recall.
And I just barely even tried
The alcohol.

But it was the best day of my life.
The breast of a much loving wife.
And as we made our way back home.
I no longer felt alone.

In the company of total strangers
I am most at-home with danger.
No one telling what to do.
Because they have that faith in you.

So when you tell me what to do
And tell me not to judge.
As though I trudged about devout
And you did not possess this grudge.

I know you don’t know what you talk about.
For all ways trying to control.
You just defy the social norms
Only to save your soul.

Because when I’m with total strangers
I am most at-home with danger.
No one telling what to do.
Because they trust that I’ll stay true.

But since your lust-full ways are lawless lies.
Then I must have to compromise
This primordial trust and say
I’ve lost this faith in you.

I never told you what to do
But only held you to your word.
And only saw the best in you.
And only tested the Absurd.

At the behest of this I lost
But it will not be I who counts the cost.
I’m dry and all the frost has melted.
Alibi cannot be pelted.

This is the best day of my life.
My best friend took a rusty knife
And tried to stab me in attack.
But now the world has my whole back.
I’m in the company of strangers.
And impervious to dangers.
I deserve this breast. This wife.
This is the best day of my life.

Dm.A.A.

No comments:

Post a Comment