Monday, January 22, 2018

Band Wars: Return of the Did I Just?


I know why I stopped going to Kettle, and it is not just because they owe me money and there’s no getting through their Kafkaesque bureaucracy. Two words: (that I would not be typing weren’t I drunk, most probably) Danielle Moore. The delightful little Taurus girl was a Princeton student of Philosophy whom I met on the Flag Football Field of Grape Day Park. She was doing some course work at St. John Paul the Great University on Grand. I spoke to her beside a big tree. I wrote for her a list of all of the Taurus philosophers I knew at the time.



1.    Soren Kierkegaard.

2.    Karl Marx.

3.    William James.

4.    Ludwig Wittgenstein.

5.    Bertrand Russell.



I don’t know if she ever ended up looking them up. All that I know is that she never added me online. I saw her outside Plan Nine Alehouse, before I was banned without cause (Kafka would have a field day) and asked her to share a drink with me. She smiled and told me later. Later never came. I past her at Kettle and got the distinct feeling in my sympathetic nervous system that told me it was over.



But then: that never stopped me and Alanna.



So I kept coming back. Like Wittgenstein said: a philosopher who does not engage in intellectual debates is like a boxer who does not go to matches. I disagree with him, of course. And it is a bit too late to get into a debate with the old, dead weirdo. Whatever. The best writers got their biggest audience post mortem, Wittgenstein included. And I know enough about Debate from experience to know that it does not reveal the truth; it is a form of aggressive and amoral sophism that leaves you in contempt of Truth Itself. But then: who ever did live up to Wittgenstein’s saintly expectations? Genius has a way of projecting itself onto the ordinary; I Know This. And I don’t need any more triggering memories of people reciting the same old collegiate bullshit that earns them a fast pass to the top of a dogmatic pile of dog pile.



And yet, and yet, and yet:



What is a musician who does not play shows??



Dm.A.A.

No comments:

Post a Comment