Sunday, June 18, 2017

A Letter from Uranus:

I have been a great friend to many, and I shall not be dispossessed of that virtue, nor of the consciousness of it, by some degenerate who betrayed me. He owes me only an apology; I shall accept nothing more from him. The act of betrayal is a total loss of any ethos in this matter. It was HE for whom friendship was a technicality employed towards private means. May the record show with glaring obviousness that any agenda that I pushed was a public one. Even if I took part in a deception, I was upholding the values of someone I cared about, and I never conned any one (nor tried to) who had not wronged me and who would not have pledged loyalty to the same person I cared about (were he in fact motivated by those ideals of Friendship which I have upheld). No: these traitors laughed and scoffed at the very word and practice of these ideals, and it was only by upholding them (both the ideals and the traitors) that I made myself vulnerable to betrayal. My very pain is my witness, that they cannot disillusion me nor besmirch my reputation, but that they can only feebly attempt to escape responsibility for their own shortcomings. That I feel pained by their devices only proves the degree of empathy I have lingering on their wretched behalf. They have depended upon me and my sympathy, and they still do. It is only by giving my SELF that credit now which is due unto ME, and only by being a friend to my own SELF, that I can find salvation from these vermin. Besides: it was true that they defied my agenda. Yet their agenda was only to their selves. How pathetic to be told what a friend is supposed to be by someone who would not stand by me in my hero’s quest, but would rather condemn it as a misadventure! I need not to be lectured to from such a wretched position. I need only to be followed with faith and dignity. Perhaps Camus said that to be a friend is not to follow nor to lead. But to disavow one’s entire mission is never the mark of true companionship. The moment of sabotage, painful and inconceivable before the fact, intolerable after the fact, remains my witness. I allowed you to defy my will. But not to the point that it blocked my own path. And if your path was other to mine, then call me not my friend. For then you walk neither behind me, before me, nor beside me. You walk upon a totally different road, and you have robbed me at every crossing. It matters not that I availed myself of your resources, for however short a time. I took only what I needed for my quest. But at the entire root of your own theft is narcissism and self-interest. And you took it without my permission. A friend would never do that. And any time I took any thing “of yours” without your permission, it was long before I considered you a friend, self-entitled as you might have been. Even now you steal from me, denying me the apology which is due unto me, making it clear to set boundaries between your interests and mine, but never respecting the boundaries I have set of my own accord. A friend does not do this; if he dissolves boundaries, he dissolves them all. Even now you have no excuse. All of your spit that you spit up at me falls back upon YOU. And so I need no warrant for what few claims I make of my own good will towards myself, a mirror of the good will I have shown unto others. You have all ready, in the very act of accusation, confessed to all these wrongs.


Dm.A.A.

No comments:

Post a Comment