Thursday, April 21, 2016

A Sea of Fears.

A Sea of Fears:

Tom used to dive from piers
And he would out-drink
Out-think all his peers.

He said: just keep your
Feet down and together.
He would weather
Nights and days at sea.
And fell asleep upon a
Stove and lost the feeling
In each hand.

Only drank and drove to the next bar
And drank and worked back home on land.

And Tom would say the sons and daughters
Of today stay out of reach.
Like when you told me not to go into the water
The day that we all went to the beach.

He found it laughable that
You would hold it all against me.
And I find it affable
That he’s just as incensed as me.

He fought the bullies back in school.
And wouldn’t ever have been made a fool.
And stuck a guy’s head in the oven.
And I know that it seems cruel.

But he grew up in times of loyalty
When men were mavericks.
When bullies were not royalty
And we don’t bow before the dicks.

Do you remember when we walked that night
And passed that lengthy pier?
And I thought: one day we’ll race to test our might
To there from here?

Where is that spirit now?
In crystal meth?
Or chasing death in suicide?
The pride of dead end jobs.
The muffled voice of mobs
And traitors justified?

Just if I’d known how prone
You were to lie and cheat.
I would have helped you to atone
For your aloneness and deceit.

And the conceit: that you want U.S.A.
To be like in the good old days.
But you still hold the beach against me
To this very day.

I speak to you directly:
Want to best me? We can take it to the beach.
We do not need to fight it out.
Just swim as far as we can reach.

And all of the experience
That I’ve accrued over the years.
Will keep me from passing delirious
Into a sea of fears.


Dm.A.A.

No comments:

Post a Comment