Thursday, December 19, 2013

Dream Journal Forty-seven.


The dream began on a playground. A friend and I were traversing the higher levels, moving by bridge from the top of one pillar to the next.

                        We were trying not to get killed, yet somehow the anxiety from previous dreams was markedly absent.

                        At some points, we  were playing hide-and-go-seek.

            At another, I found myself in a treehouse, hiding. Memories of it now evoke a habitual tension that I recallnow as a depressive neurosis.

 

The dream changed to a video game.We were predominantly on ground, in a battlefield. What set it apart this time was threefold: We had recognized that the game was not  a  platformer but a wargame. We stopped moving frojm level to level. We began to fight.

            Using monsters as our allies, we gained an advantage and then a victory in battle.The game  involved a good deal of  r Running about and gliding across water to reach outcropping islands from high ledges.

 

Part of the dream was set  in a mall,I got to see the mall at night-time, andthen again during the bustling daylight hours. I began there at night time. I visited the pizza parlour,but  did not have money because I had left my wallet,

I must have spent the night therem though I am uncertain.

 

During daytime, I might have seen the Modest Mouse record on display in a window,I wanted to get it,but my purchase was interrupted by a riot that spread throughout the store, Some people with machine guns were laying siege to it.They were working for the malevolent head of a corporation. I fled, with my friend, yet we got separated.

I took one elevator, where Maria took another.

 

The episode culminated in a Battle on the higher floors.I fled,descending onto the first floor, and ran into the parking lot.

 

The mall mayhave had seven floors.

 

The white van  wherein my companions were supposed to pick me up was nowhere.I had to drive a car. It was terrifying. Regardless, I managed to get far away from the conflict. I escaped into a countryside, as a fugitive.

 

I spent some time pacing the meadows. I admired acrest of yellow grass running through the greens with unprecedented delight.

Yet word in the town hadspread. I saw someone there I recognized from the mall. He saw me.

 

I ran for it. I sought the flimsy shelter of a giant slop overgrown with brush.

            It was night-time.I emerged at a fence. Crawling underneath it,I found myself at the high school.

I followed the high school routine fairly faithfully over the following few months.I was in 

an Art class,but I dropped out after missingmanyclasses either leisurely or because of other commitments.There was also ascience class that,true to form, I did not recognize I had on my schedule until a shock towards the end.

There was a physicaleducation class, and I used it to oogle the girls. I would go on runs and wind up  in strange places.Every-time this happened,I found myself in the midst of a story that was a dramatic dep-art ure and even  a  Liberating Escape from my daily concerns.

            One time I was at the cliff of a trench on a dark night that seemed regardless to have been lit by a glow that seemed as though it would never go out. The place was a skate-park, yet it was also a mine field.

Another time,I was walking along Carmel Mountain plaza, yet the shopfronts to my right were from Encinitas.

The remainder of the high school activities were fairly standard.There was croquet in the fields. Somehow, the croquet fuelds from Rancho Bernardo Park appeared on our campus. We used mallets that were magenta and a light-grayiosh violet ( like Taro–flavoured slushie at Thai-go, in Actual Life).

            We also went on fieldtrips and missions. One of mine was to usea flying apparatus to traverse the (Mojave?)desert and get to the Sierra Nevadas. I began at daytime, and I was instructedto return before nightfall,yet I always – with the exception of a few times that went unnoticed – failed to do so. Each night,the dangers of the dark were a surpassingly greater threat to my mind than fear of eventual reproof.

            The mission always involved finding these dirigibles,each the size of my craft( probably no wider than [twice] my armspan) hovering in a cloister amidst the mountains.What I was supposed to have done afterwards  invariably escaped me, yet Finding them was ‘important’.

One night, I crash-landed.I encountered several people investigating a murder.I accompanied them along a mountain road, at daybreak, in search of Clues.

            I found a yellow,glowing item that was a Clue, and then again a woman in the desert, very old, who glowed green. Yet the puzzle was lost to me, and I feared being found by the mountain lion.I returned to my companions, but they had already solved the mystery. Not telling  me what it was, they had me accompany them, in cars,to a suburban neighbourhood.I did not have to drive this time.We got out and Walked to a nearby city.There were people I knew from the Palomar theatre program at a playhouse whose entrance faced the street inexplicably. We watched the play, but as we were watching,  a zombie apocalypse broke out  without our knowledge. We fled.

 

            I lost everyone at the suburbs.

Things were getting apocalyptic. I managed to find refuge in a parking lot full of buses, come night fall.The one I stowed aboard was occupied by none other than the Rancho Bernardo High School Royal Regiment Marching Band. They greeted me as an old – if incompetent – team mate.

            Promptly, the bus took us far away from the tuined city. A gentle light, like the yellow of a hard-boiled egg when one scratches away the sulfur, penetrated the fog as our bus rode away to a tournament.

 

 

The epilogue of the dream had no conceivable transition portending its episode.My grandfather hadcome to visit,as in Actual Life. He arrived this morning, in  Actuality, yet I have not yet set eyes on him.

He was a womanizer and had pretensions towards being a performance artist.The whole aspect of the dream was set inexplicably in one of Jeff Carter’s  favourite films.*

 

* For the record, Jeff Loved  ‘Sideways’.

The house wasa guest house shared by many women.He cast  my motherasa kind of servanr, to her politely unspoken but profound dissatisfaction.

He then cast the most sexually attractive woman as  his love interest, to frustrate everyone else even more. He cast a man that he dislike as the Devil. Everyone,or almost everyone, recognized the absurdity of  what he was doing, but they humoured him because he and they were Old.

I began to masturbate to the childhood fantasy of Alessandra Ambrosioin the bath.I thought of Andrew’s advice, and noted that the sexual zeal Was enlivened by the infantile Anima projection. Yet I feltguilty.

 

I had to go to work. Joann had been remodeled again.The store could be described as nothing less than a dusty emporium that felt cripplingly nostalgic at the back but that intensified in anxiety, though never to an intolerable degree, the closer that one got towards the Magistrate’s Table that wasthe checkout stand, lining the front of the store like the seats of the Supreme Court. Thr lights at the back of the store and its other nooks and crannies were a mellow, Natural, accidental light that ex posed  its gorgeous grays  intermingled with Amber,

In contrast, the sterile White Lights  overlooking the uniform horizontal rows p arallel to the checkout  counter made the dust bunnies appear as though they  were deemed unworthy pests.

I made my way to the front and took Drew’s place at the register.

 

As father drove me home, we passed through an almost childlike,convoluted, serpentine labyrinth if high-ways, like a roller-coaster in the impending, apathetic twilight.

 

We returned home to find the start of the rehearsal.Tempted again, I withdrew into the laundry room to masturbate.It was atthistime that a SWAT team broke into our house, Military personnel were in search of the woman of my grandpa’s eyes.I imagined what would have happened to me if they’d found me having sex with her.
                        dm.A.A.

No comments:

Post a Comment