Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Dream Journal Fourteen.


  1. I had just dreamt of Mr. Rowan. I had gone to a graduation of sorts on the field of a campus I had never seen, presumably somewhere in the vicinity of Balboa Park. Feeling anomie as usual, I redeemed myself by directing everyone’s attention to Mr. Rowan, walking nonchalantly and with uncharacteristic detachment in a summer gardening hat along the sideline of the field.

He greeted everyone with confidence and delivered a lecture. Meanwhile, though, I withdrew.

  1. Eventually, I followed him to the outside of a café that was almost like Disneyland* in terms of ridiculously overdone kitsch aesthetics. I listened in, maybe in plain view, though he ignored my consistently, on a conversation he was having with a man who looked like a Hindu yogi2 with a bald head and a brownrobe. They were disputing something of tremendous importance to the human condition.

 

 

At one point, Mr. Rowan mentioned Five Hindrances, citing a Buddhist teaching. He possibly even wrote them down.

 

He said that there were 5 words that one was never Supposed to use because they created the illusion of Division. I remember the last three:

 

  1. ‘I’.
  2. Anything referring to a ‘thing’.
  3. Anything alluding to an ‘event’. *

 

2 An introvert?

* Walt Disney: ENFP.

*This is Watts’ philosophy.

Watts= ENFP.

Rowan=ENFP.

Kresten=ENFP.

 

  1. I tried following him through a series of buildings, asking for clarification, but he would not even look behind him as he passed through corridors, alleys*, and sliding doors.

* Ally?

 

  1. Finally, I had to amble home. Passing the back field by the student parking lot of RBHS, there was still a very vivid air of charged celebration*in the atmosphere, the likes of which I had not dreamt of since the first year after Ally broke up with me.

*Extraversion.

 

Walking up Avenida Venusto on the left side, the hill to the left of the side-walk I was on had been replaced with an extremely steep forest incline, the likes of which my mother repeatedly admonished me against in childhood, claiming that I could fall off the edge of the World. As I repeated Rowan’s words dogmatically in my mind, I kept feeling a pull in the direction of the incline, as though I were losing balance on a tightrope, until I had to get on my knees and crawl so as not to fall off.

 
dm.A.A.

No comments:

Post a Comment