Friday, December 20, 2013

Dream Journal Sixty-two.


I dreamt that Maria and I had gotten a pet rabbit. There was a terrifying instance near midday, made more terrifying by how subtly and with what stifled atmosphere it happened, wherein I must have let Pumpkin into the side-yard irresponsibly and promptly watched him sprint towards the row of bushes in the back that,sure enough, retained the gaping hope in the bushes that we had, in Actual Life, blockaded.

My sister frantically prompted me to catch him,and so, with a calm,Stoic and almost Phillistine external demeanour that served to mask an obvious Terror that was Tempered only by the degree to which it merged like a seamless gradient with Dejection, I hopped the fence and ran down a hill that the Dream had elongated to twofold its Actual length, watching him, as I was about halfway down this hill in a descent like a downward flight, as he had already begun to chase the rabbit that had prompted this sprint across the first of two narrow streets separated by a thin strip of elevated grass.

I felt a hopeless doom, numbed by my helplessness but portending a great turmoil (‘travail?’)as I watched cars approach from the left.

Pumpkin might have become frightened and turned about, but this may br just my imagination taking artistic liberties.

At either rate, I caught him by a red collar from which a small golden amulet withan inscription that evades memory and may have evaded recognition hung.

 

I brought Pumpkin home, but it was obvious now that our pet rabbit was not safe.We were faced with the impending tragedy of having to return the rabbit to the wild.

Someone – probably my father – pointed out that ‘Rabbits and dogs are not natural allies’.We ultimately set him (the Rabbit)free, if memory serves.

 
                                    dm.A.A.

No comments:

Post a Comment