Saturday, December 28, 2013

I cast four stones into the well


I cast four stones into the well

In order to surmise

By what the echo of those stones would tell

Of all my self-directed lies.

 

And with each stone I cast inside

I did not hear a splatter

For in my self-appointed pride

I forgot there was no water.

 

And so it seemed as though I had

Not cast four stones at all

And I thought that I had gone mad

Standing beside the wall

 

For I could not recall

If there had been four stones

Or three

For when each stone would fall

It would make no tone

To me.

 

And of course each stone was designated

For a prior purpose

A theory as to whether

Or not I did deserve this.

 

And to what extent

Yet by the end I found

That no matter how many stones were spent

I could not see the ground.

 

And so I settled for the Sun

And I forgot the well

For it is so much fun

When you don’t answer to hell.

 
Dm.A.A.

No comments:

Post a Comment